In the 21st century economies around the globe are in a profound change. Globalisation of markets, computerisation of industries, scarce government funds, privatisation, new methods of financing are but a few trends that European international contractors, too, have learned to address in their international business. Cross-border mergers, project development and concessions, diversification, concentration on construction-related services and an increasing share of subcontracting are some of the consequences.
In addition, the world has witnessed over the past two decades a massive increase in private participation in infrastructure, driven mainly by foreign direct investment, not least from European international contractors. The current global financial and economic crisis going along with a massive collapse of private capital has revealed the importance of real physical assets, such as infrastructures, but also the need to secure that corresponding investments warrant Value for Money and are sustainable over the project’s life-cycle.
As a professional association, EIC's activities are focused on improving the political, legal and financial framework conditions for the business acitvities of its member companies and on providing a unique forum for Networking. Some of the main activities are liste below
- EIC has built up a strong reputation as commentator of the FIDIC standard forms of contract and is a “friendly reviewer” to each new or updated FIDIC Contract;
- EIC is recognised by the European Commission and the World Bank as an advocate of Quality Assurance and Innovative Forms of Procurement;
- EIC contributes with its brochures on Public-Private Partnerships to Capacity-Building in this field and is in contact with IFC, MIGA and EIB to promote Infrastructure PPPs globally;
- Through BIAC, EIC is scrutinising the OECD activities in the fields of Development Policy and Export Credits and represents the private setor's viewpoint in the OECD's dialogue with trade unions, civil society and NGOs;
- EIC produces reasonably complete statistics on the international construction activities of the European construction industry;
- EIC organises two Workshops per year in which recent trends in the international construction business are highlighted.